Wednesday 10 October 2012

{Food} No electricity = Eat Out Baby! (Chaplin's Grill)

Happy morning to all my journeyers! 
Can you guys believe it's already Wednesday and my birthday was already 4 days ago! {SAY WHAT!!!!}
Anyway, when you live in South Africa and especially Johannesburg, you are privileged enough to experience a thing called "load shedding" {this means power cuts} {what stupid name is this anyway?}. Well in our area we've been experiencing this QUITE OFTEN which makes me so extremely upset happy!
So yesterday as I got home for lunch {yes I am lucky enough to enjoy every lunch time with my boo} Cedric tells me we have no electricity...really? Are you kidding me! 1pm = nothing. 2pm = nothing. 3pm = nothing. 4pm = nothing. 5pm = I get home = still nothing. 5:30pm = screw this, "baby go shower we are going out for dinner". 

5:50pm = We end up deciding to go to Fillet {we've been here before and know the food is great} and as all of us know as soon as the clouds turn darker and thicker with rain people miraculously forget how to drive! Even better! Which means on our way to Fillet the traffic is bumper to bumper. Then we quickly change our minds and go to this place we've been seeing for months and always drive past it with a "we should really come here one day" and never do. And by golly thanks to weather and traffic we finally end up going.
6pm = we stop at the restaurant and it's empty, now we are thinking "jeesh is this place legit???" so I tell Cedric let's just go in and try it, plus who goes for dinner at 6 anyway nowadays?
We sit and the place is pretty impressive, clean and has a nice relaxing ambiance.
6:10pm = neighbour texts me "elec just came back on" = are you freaking kidding me???

Back to the restaurant, you have a great view over Sandton, and the waiters are like little jack in the boxes. We ordered steaks. As I was craving good meat, and we struck it lucky, the meat is amazing! I am very fussy when it comes to my meat, I want it Medium - Well done, red but no blood. And Cedric just shook his head as I was trying to explain this to the waiter and the waiters eyes just went blank.
But when the food came it was cooked to perfection. {sorry I didn't take any pics}. Reason for no pics is the waiter caught us off guard as he brought us our main meals when Cedric in fact ordered a starter too. Shame small mistake.
But I will leave you with this....
The view (I know blurry! Crap camera)


Please go visit their website - http://chaplinsgrill.co.za

"The ideas that have lighted my way have been kindness, beauty and truth." - Albert Einstein
xxx

8 comments:

  1. We also had a power outage last week somewhere, but I was at the gym, and by the time I got home, Flip had already started the fires, and was busy with a potjie.

    My friend, who lives with us, and I grabbed a huge bottle of Robertsons red and just enjoyed the no power. Eskom drove by once and we bugged them to find out what's going on. Turns out, someone stole our fuses. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really so tired of all these problems! We are constantly without electricity! Then it's load shedding and then they try to steal cables! I mean really!
      But the way you embraced the moment sounds like a whole lot of fun! Potjie! I love potjie just don't know how to make it! (yes I am afrikaans and not very proud to admit that I don't know how to make potjie)
      We wanted to braai last night but I was not in the mood to sit in a dark house.
      So braai tonight! WITH ELEC! :)
      xxx

      Delete
  2. I didnt think Joburg was also experiencing power outages, thought it was only us here in the smaller towns. I worked at Eskom and I can understand the pressure and drama that goes on behind the scenes, but still its unacceptable. At least on the plus side you got to go out to a great supper ;) Lol, I can just imagine the waiters expression when you were explaining that to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a shame they cannot get it sorted out!
      But on the bright side I did get a great supper you are right! :)
      xxx

      Delete
  3. What a shame with electricity ((( But sometimes it's nice to eat out. You looks so cute together ;)
    LA By Diana Live Magazine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Until Then Daddy

    Before Tiger Woods was a toddler, old man McGary's Irish temper had broken every hickory made "3 Wood" in Murfreesboro, Tennessee and I suppose the majority of ones he had to replace. To be sure, if hickory in McGary's day had a voice, its raw vulgarity would have rivaled the foulest mouth of the worst Sailor.

    My first memories of golf weren't fashioned by mannered men shouting "fore" or pretty putt-putt greens. Hardly. McGary couldn't put his clubs down long enough to give a boy back then time enough to pick up the pieces he left behind. McGary's mean mood swings after every "3 Wood" he'd bust against a tree, over something as silly as missing an easy putt or missing a teed-up ball, allowed me as a child to see how trying too hard was a bad way to kill time that wasn't then and isn't now something to be resurrected.

    I never heard him shout "fore" but anyone within a couple of miles of McGary heard their fair share of foul four letter words. His pattern of playing was painfully predictable and downright comical. Free comedic acting at its worst, all because the irritable Irishman allowed his anger to keep him from playing a mere game at his best.

    He'd swing hard at the most costly balls a man could find back then just to watch each of them wind up in the weeds, creek, or right where he'd teed up. Missing a ball completely was the culprit of both his cursing and deliberate destruction of the "3 Wood" he had in hand each time a good size clump of grass flew farther than is best drive.

    I thought I was alone in my strange sense of enjoyment and mirth each Saturday afternoon, as I'd watch McGary become unglued.

    Whiff, smack, crack, and curse.

    I had McGary figured out it and it wasn't until many years later that my daddy admitted, while on his deathbed, that he'd been watching McGary just as regularly. I'd always wondered where my daddy would go so quickly after lunch on Sundays. I think my mom knew but she knew enough about McGary's foul mouth to keep hers quiet.

    Daddy rarely went bowling or golfing yet both sports he played superbly and with complete passion. He remarked that he always had a place to laugh and even learn a bit without spending a zinc penny. He explained to both my brother and I that he had the rest of this life and forever in the next one to play both games plus some he'd never heard about before.

    Daddy kept life simple and didn't let much bother him. I guess old man McGary had rubbed off on him too in a way that polished him up against grinding him down. He told us as boys to "hold God's hand and keep on walking." He said that's what faith looked like in action.

    McGary's madness brought us together in gladness when daddy and I needed to make up the time too many fathers and sons just never get around to doing. When daddy's health was good, I never knew his bills weren't that bad and so working two jobs for college savings bonds took some time he would have had to be with my brother and I. He stated he would do it all over again the same way just to see both of his sons graduate from the local college he tried to get a golf scholarship just to attend.

    Daddy's gone but those weeks laughing about McGary's "whiff, smack, crack, and curse," predictably free entertainment will stay with me until I hook up with the best golfer and father, in my eyes, this world never knew.

    Until then, go get 'em Tiger Woods. For daddy and me, old man McGary's imperfect play and poor disposition served a purpose only our Heavenly Father knew would work together for our good.

    "Until then daddy, I'll keep walking, keep walking..."

    2008 Brian G. Jett

    PS. I have been looking at your blog for a LOOONG time! Love it!

    "You can determine how confident people are by listening to what they don't say about themselves."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving the sweet comment!
      xxx

      Delete

Thank you so much for sharing your love!
My smile is growing with each comment!
xxx